Thursday, July 09, 2009

Why your Ubuntu Netbook Remix windows are maximized all the time

I was curious why my windows were all immediately getting maximized on my new kinda-netbook Dell Mini 12, running UNR (with the "Classic Desktop" mode). It's the sort of behavior you can imagine wanting -- with a small screen, maybe you do want to maximize everything? But I wanted to turn it off.

This thread has the answer!

UNR comes with a program called "Maximus", which was in my Startup Applications. To make the behavior go away, just go to System > Preferences > Startup Applications and remove Maximus from that list. Problem solved!

Seems odd that this is a process running in the background, instead of, say, a window manager setting.

6 comments:

jes5199 said...

I, of course, was all hell-yes I want that behaviour on my full-size laptop.

My debian system is getting ubuntier every day, as the official deb repos fail to keep up with what I want to install.
47 jaunty packages installed so far.

Unknown said...

Glad it's working out, though! Hooray for apt :)

What are some other interesting ones you've got?

Venca said...

Thank you very much! :) I was far wondering, what the hell is going on, and finally I manage to find out that it's only a stupid background app that came with my UNR :)

Unknown said...

Hooray! Glad to help, Venca :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks, that was driving me nuts!

- Gavin

Unknown said...

Gavin: Great! Glad to help :)