Saturday, June 30, 2012

happy hardware review: usb wireless adapter from ThinkPenguin

I'm in Mountain View for the summer, working on Google Translate for another internship with that company that I seem to work for fairly often. Hooray!

Unfortunately, my laptop's built-in wireless card really doesn't agree with the apartment complex's wireless. So I ordered a little USB stick wireless adapter from ThinkPenguin, and it came pretty quickly, and I plugged it in (and told wicd to look at wlan1 instead of wlan0), and it just worked! Now my wireless connection is pretty fast, and doesn't drop every five minutes! (unlike before; it was a serious pain.)

Particularly, I got this one. Their other products may also be lovely. Thanks, ThinkPenguin!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a ZyXel usb adapter for a long time as it had a magical chipset that "just worked," but when that started flaking out I bought a Thinkpenguin usb adapter with the external antennas.

It has an Atheros chipset that my kubuntu 12 installation recognized and configured immediately- no sweat on my end to get it working. And sweet evil Jeebus it is fast! With the antennas, the range is fantastic too. I think I just found my new favorite adapter for WAR walking...

Anonymous said...

I'm really happy with the card I bought from ThinkPenguin too. They really seem to know what they are doing.